Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Ocean

The ocean is significant in my creative day.
My father owns a summer house by the ocean, and whenever I feel blue, happy, sad, excited, or angry even, I get in my car and drive to the sea.
If the weather allows me to, I'll go down to the beach, take off my shoes and socks and just sit down becoming completely mesmerized by the fantastic motion in front of me, burying my bare feet in the sand, and just be there...in the moment, for hours.

I love the ocean in the springtime. Its colour is clearing up from that black wintery colour, and we can see, on a sunny day the blue or the turquoise shimmer against the white foam from the waves.
I love the ocean when it's summer. I dive in with a frightful delight, as the water in Norway tends to be a bit cold...but it is clear as glass.
I love the ocean when summer has to give in to the autumn. When you see the bright summery colours changing, promising that winter isn't far away, I actually fill up with anticipation. I love how the autumn storms remove all the sand from the beach, leaving bare black rocks with the eternal ocean hammering its vast powers against the shore.
But I completely adore the ocean at wintertime. Its might is so overwhelming that it's quite humbling. It's when mother nature flexes her muscles one understands for sure how incredibly powerless we are. All the money in the world can't stop the ocean.








And when black water with glistening white foam thunders towards land, raging and roaring like a thousand angry dragons, you know you're in the presence of the true powers on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment